Tarrant moves residence to Florida, businesses stay in Vermont

first_imgBy James Dwinell, Vermont Business Magazine Rich Tarrant, one of Vermont s wealthiest, is no longer a Vermont resident; he now resides in Florida. Tarrant is best known for the amazing success of IDX, a health care information systems company which he sold in 2006 and now called GE Healthcare and still located in South Burlington.In 2006 Tarrant ran for the open US Senate seat vacated by Jim Jeffords. Though Tarrant won the Republican primary, he lost to Bernie Sanders in the general election. There were rumors of a possible interest in one day running for governor of Vermont, those days are now gone.After confirming his change of residency, Tarrant said, I don t want your story to suggest that I made the change because of dissatisfaction with Vermont. It was very complicated decision, but simply put, I am heavily invested in Florida real estate and as such it became clear to me that becoming a Florida resident made many things in the real estate field much easier and more beneficial. And I was spending more and more time in Florida. But all four of my start-ups are here in Vermont. There is no escaping the tax man, either here or in Florida.Tarrant is involved in a variety of business ventures here in Vermont, in the medical and education fields. The Tarrant Institute, centered at UVM, is an example of Tarrant s creative energy. We are providing an online learning system, called I-Leap, which is in schools in Milton, Burlington, and Manchester, he said. The system engages kids and allows them to learn at their own interest level and ability. One parent told me that his child says that not only does he enjoy the system and learns well, but that much of the disciplinary distractions have been eliminated. A grandparent of Milton I-Leaper had tears in her eyes talking about the difference it made for her grandson!The program is now in its fourth year (STORY, CLICK HERE). In an article posted on the UVM Communications website written by Jeffrey Wakefield, the Institute s director Penny Bishop has surveyed the schools where I-Leap is at work.Deborah Tarrant of the Richard E. and Deborah L. Tarrant Foundation shows the difference between the technologies students use inside and outside of school at a December 21, 2009, press conference. (Photo: Raj Chawla) Students in I-Leap say that learning is more interesting, meaningful, and relevant to their lives compared with their earlier school experiences, an evaluation shared by many parents. There’s a point to what we’re learning, one Milton student said. My daughter’s grades have improved since being involved in this program, said an Edmunds parent. She has always had a problem with focusing, but now with the laptop, I have seen her sit, focused, completing her work. I really see the advantages of bringing our teaching methods current with technology. Edmunds social studies teacher Brent Truchon reported a marked change in classroom participation. For the first time in the history of my teaching career, every student’s hand was raised, in a recent class, he said.Governor Douglas upon hearing the news of Tarrant s change of residency, said, Rich is a Vermont entrepreneur and community leader who has contributed and continues to contribute so much Vermont. His decision to change his residency is an example of how tax laws can make a difference in where people decide to live. We need legislators who understand that.Not forgetting Tarrant s roots, Penny Bishop said, The Tarrant Institute focuses only on Vermont. The Tarrants have been our sole source of funding until we recently received a $200,000 grant from the stimulus funds. Middle school is our focus. Kids who are failing in math or English, and who have a less then 80 percent attendance record, or receive poor behavior comments on their report cards have only a 20 percent chance of graduating high school. Success is when we see these kids engaged in a relevant curriculum with meaningful technology and succeeding while being directed by teachers who we have trained.Vermont Business Magazine. 6.17.2010last_img read more

Frank Howard out for 1st-round matchup against Baylor, suspended indefinitely

first_imgFrank Howard looks like he was at practice yesterday. https://t.co/B2YlSajdUD— Billy Heyen (@Wheyen3) March 20, 2019 The Orange are scheduled to tip-off with Baylor at 9:57 p.m. on Thursday evening.This post has been updated with additional reporting. Comments UPDATED: Thursday, March 20, 2019 at 6:10 p.m.SALT LAKE CITY — Frank Howard will be out indefinitely due to a violation of Syracuse athletic department policy, SU Athletics announced in a release Wednesday afternoon.“(Frank) won’t be here with us tomorrow,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said Wednesday afternoon.Howard was in the midst of playing some of the best basketball of his life, coming off a career-high 28 points in the ACC tournament loss to Duke. The senior was setting up for one final NCAA Tournament run.Instead, the Orange will possibly be without their senior point guard against Baylor in the NCAA Tournament Round of 64. There are two lineup options based off of what SU has tried previously this season: Tyus Battle could start at point guard with Buddy Boeheim playing the 2, or Jalen Carey could start alongside Battle in the backcourt.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“Fortunately, Tyus has played the point quite a bit this year, even when Frank came back at Duke and several other spots along the way,” Boeheim said. “Pittsburgh, Boston College, we did play Tyus at the point, so he’s been there. Jalen’s had good practices. Everybody — it is very similar to last week when we found out Tyus wouldn’t play. I thought the players made a great adjustment. We played really well in both games in the tournament. And we’re going to have to make that same adjustment this week with a different guy going.”When Howard missed time early in the season with injury, Carey was also out with injury so Buddy and Battle were the starting backcourt for the two games to open Syracuse’s season. Based on what Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett said on Wednesday during media availability, the SU players had learned of the news recently.Howard was shown practicing in the Utah Jazz practice facility in a video on Syracuse basketball’s Twitter account posted Tuesday.center_img Published on March 20, 2019 at 5:18 pm Contact Billy: [email protected] | @Wheyen3 Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

1 dead, 4 critical

first_img– in 3-vehicle smash-upAn unidentified man is now lying in the mortuary of the Georgetown Public Hospital with his body torn in two following a three-vehicle smash-up at the intersection of Smyth and D’Urban Streets, Georgetown on Sunday afternoon.The Hospital’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mitzy Campbell also confirmed that four other persons, including a pedestrian, are in critical condition nursing severe wounds to their bodies.The Tundra collided into the minibus and then into this parked AllionThe accident occurred around 16:00h. Minibus BVV 5273 was said to be proceeding along D’Urban Street heading to South Georgetown when it was struck from behind by a black Tundra which was said to be speeding along Smyth Street headed North.The Tundra, bearing registration GRR 8350, then hit a parked blue Allion before coming to a halt.According to information received by Guyana Times after being struck, the minibus which was said to be fully loaded toppled a number of times.Several injured persons, including a six-year-old and 16-year-old Brian DeSantos, had to be pulled from the mangled minibus, some in an unconscious state.The now dead man was said to be half in and half out of the minibus; hence his horrific injuries.One the persons in intensive careThe driver of the minibus is among those said to be battling for their lives in the emergency Unit of the Hospital.The driver of the Tundra who was confirmed by eyewitnesses to be a woman fled the scene.This publication visited the Hospital and was able to speak to a number of those who were injured.One of the passengers of the minibus, who identified herself as Lynette, relayed that she felt an impact before the bus started to topple.“All I know is that the bus got hit, and it toppled and then fall on its side. Everybody started to holler and everybody started to hold onto each other and when I come out of the bus, one man I saw half of his body was inside the bus and half was outside. After that, people start running to help us.”The woman, who is also the mother of the injured six-year-old, said her son injured his leg.Urlan Nedd, another badly injured man, explained to this newspaper that just as the bus went over the ‘double corner’ at Smyth Street, it was “lashed” by the Tundra.He added that the bus started to “spin” before it turned onto its side. The man received injuries to his head, chest and extremities.The Police are currently investigating the matter and a manhunt was launched for the errant driver, who is also said to be injured.last_img read more