Filip Hrgovic chasing Anthony Joshua: IBF mandatory goal ahead of ‘toughest fight’ on Saturday | Boxing News

first_img Filip Hrgovic knocked out Eric Molina “He’s in a very good position after just 11 fights,” his co-promoter Nisse Sauerland, who works alongside Eddie Hearn, told Sky Sports.“To become mandatory is our aim.“(Current IBF mandatory challenger) Kubrat Pulev is fighting Joshua, then there is Charles Martin, Oleksandr Usyk (who is going the WBO route), Michael Hunter and Andy Ruiz Jr.“So hopefully, with a win on Saturday, he can jump into the top five.“The IBF is the route that has opened up for us. The WBC title will be tied up for quite a while.“The IBF stick to their mandatories and they are very regularly. So, for us, it is the soonest route.“The aim is to get a world title fight next year.” Hrgovic needed less than 60 seconds for this KO! Joshua defends his IBF, WBA and WBO titles against Pulev on December 12, live on Sky Sports Box Office, then plans two fights against WBC champion Tyson Fury in 2021.Hrgovic’s most recent four opponents have been dispatched in less than nine combined rounds.“Hrgovic is very much avoided but I can’t blame guys for that,” Sauerland said.“They are all waiting for their big opportunity so why fight Hrgovic instead of holding out?“I don’t see any heavyweight coming close to Hrgovic.“Below the top guys, Tyson Fury and Joshua, it’s all to play for. And we believe Filip is top of the chasing pack.” 0:36 Hrgovic is undefeated in 11 fights Hrgovic is undefeated in 11 fights

Shahid Afridi thanks all for prayers after testing positive for COVID-19

first_imgLAHORE: Former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi on Sunday thanked everybody for their wishes on his speedy recovery after he revealed that he has tested positive for coronavirus.”A quick message to thank everybody who’s been praying for my recovery and for the heartfelt messages I’ve been receiving; thank you so much. Please stay safe & continue to look out for those who need help during these testing times. Lots of love for you all,” Afridi said in a tweet. He wrote a heartfelt message on popular social media platform Twitter on Saturday to reveal that he had tested positive for the virus. Afridi stated that he had been feeling unwell since Thursday and after getting himself tested, the reports came as positive. He had urged his fans and followers to pray for him during these testing times. His Twitter post read: “I have been feeling unwell since Thursday; my body has been aching badly. I have been tested and unfortunately I’m covid positive. Need prayers for speedy recovery, Inshallah. #COVID19 #pandemic #hopenotout #staysafe #stayhome.” IANSAlso watch: Protests in City Demanding Justice for Rituparnalast_img read more

Austin Barnes returns to Dodgers as Russell Martin lands on bereavement list

first_img Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Outfielder Alex Verdugo (oblique) is taking dry swings and playing catch at the Dodgers’ Camelback Ranch facility in Arizona. Pitcher Julio Urías is there too while he serves the remainder of his 20-game suspension for violating MLB’s domestic violence policy.Roberts said Urías is scheduled to throw a bullpen Sunday. He will return to the Dodgers when his suspension expires on Sept. 3.UP NEXTDodgers (LHP Clayton Kershaw) vs. Yankees (RHP Domingo German), 4 p.m., ESPN, 570-AM Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco LOS ANGELES – No, Austin Barnes didn’t enter into the Witness Protection Program after he was demoted to Triple-A last month. Under the stipulations of Major League Baseball’s dress code for Players’ Weekend, Barnes returned to the Dodgers wearing an all-white uniform and a pseudonym – Sam – on the back of his jersey.Barnes backed up Will Smith on Saturday and will catch Clayton Kershaw on Sunday after Russell Martin was placed on the bereavement list. Manager Dave Roberts said that Martin, who is mourning the death of his grandmother, will return to the team Tuesday in San Diego. Barnes is expected to be optioned to Oklahoma City then.After beginning the season as the Dodgers’ primary catcher, Barnes went into a slump at the plate. He was batting .196 when he was optioned to Triple-A Oklahoma City on July 25. Smith has been the team’s primary catcher ever since.The change of scenery helped. Barnes went on a tear at the plate, hitting one home run in five consecutive games from Aug. 2-7. In his next 11 games, Barnes hit one home run with a .195 batting average. He also drew eight walks and logged a .340 on-base percentage.center_img “I think the at-bat quality has been consistent throughout, but I haven’t seen him,” Roberts said of Barnes.Martin, 36, is hitting .207 with four home runs and 15 RBIs in 69 games this season.RYUNNING ON EMPTYThe Dodgers are contemplating skipping one of Hyun-Jin Ryu’s upcoming starts, or giving the left-hander an abbreviated start, Roberts said. Ryu has lost his last two starts, allowing a total of 11 runs over 10 innings against the Braves and Yankees.“His command has been kind of compromised a little bit,” Roberts said. “Talking to the players, the staff, there’s been a little fatigue.”Since he and Ryu haven’t discussed the plan in detail, Roberts was not prepared Saturday to offer a date for when Ryu might miss a start. Saturday marked the Dodgers’ fifth game in a stretch of 16 days without a day off. If Ryu doesn’t skip a start, Roberts said either Dustin May, Tony Gonsolin or Rich Hill (if he’s healthy) could piggyback him in long relief. May is starting Monday in San Diego. Gonsolin started Saturday against the Yankees. Both have pitched in relief this season, too.Ryu has pitched 152 ⅔ innings this season, the most he’s logged in five years. He pitched 110 ⅓ innings in 2018 between the majors, minors and postseason.INJURY UPDATESHill threw 20 pitches, all fastballs, in a max-effort bullpen session Saturday. He’ll mix in curveballs the next time he throws – either Monday or Tuesday, he said. After that, Hill will face live hitters, Roberts said.Hill is on the 60-day injured list with a left forearm flexor strain. He was 4-1 with a 2.55 ERA on June 20 when he was placed on IL.Related Articles How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start last_img read more

Juventus defender has not had talks with Chelsea insists agent

first_imgJuventus defender Daniele Rugani is happy at Juventus and has had no contact with Chelsea, according to his agent.Rugani has been heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge and is predicted to become one of Maurizio Sarri’s top targets should he get the manager’s job. 1 As talkSPORT told you this week, Sarri is hoping to lure Rugani to England with the promise of first-team football.Arsenal are also said to be keen on signing the 23-year-old this summer, while a swap deal regarding Lazio’s midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has been mooted too.But now Rugani’s agent, Davide Torchia, has poured cold water over all rumours linking his client with a move away from Juve.He told SportItalia: “Daniele has never been offered to anyone, let alone Lazio.“We can’t say for sure in life that the player is off the market completely, but we can confirm no formal offers have arrived.“He is happy to be there and Juve are happy with him. It was purely a coincidence we had this meeting after those reports. I can assure you we did not talk about Chelsea.”center_img Rugani’s agent says he is happy in Turin last_img read more

Manchester City make light work of Shakhtar in Champions League

first_imgGROUP F TABLE revealed Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Most Popular Football News Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City 5 BEST OF 5 Silva and Mahrez both missed opportunities to extend City’s lead early in the second half and Jesus also dragged a shot wide. Shakhtar did come into the game more, but Junior Moraes headed wide from one of their better chances and substitute Alan Patrick also curled a shot outside a post.Guardiola decided to freshen up his side by sending on Bernardo Silva for De Bruyne and it proved an inspired piece of thinking. Within a minute of coming off the bench, the Portuguese set off on a run from near the halfway line and dribbled to the edge of the box before firing in a low shot shot off the base of a post.That allowed City to ease off but Ederson stayed alert to deny Fernando a consolation and Sterling almost added another as he thumped a shot against the bar in injury time. City simply had too much for Shakhtar gameday cracker Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions LATEST Manchester City made a big step towards qualification for the Champions League knockout stages with a routine 3-0 away to Shakhtar Donetsk.Pep Guardiola claimed his side are not ready to win the competition earlier this week but this outstanding display suggested the Spaniard may have to reconsider his words. latest 5center_img David Silva twice hit the woodwork before rewarding the visitors for their early dominance with the opening goal after half-an-hour and Aymeric Laporte quickly added a second. Bernardo Silva came off the bench to wrap up a victory that took City to the top of Group F 19 minutes from time.City were beaten on their last visit to the Metalist Stadium but there never seemed any danger of a repeat and one statistic emphasised their dominance as they recorded 24 shots.They looked comfortable from the first whistle as they calmly stroked the ball about for almost three minutes before creating a chance for David Silva, which the Spaniard hooked on to the bar.Goalkeeper Andriy Pyatov always seemed confident the looping effort was missing, but it was an early statement of City’s intent. Silva gave City a deserved lead after 30 minutes scrap The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 tense Kevin De Bruyne, making his first start of the season, had a shot blocked and Gabriel Jesus, preferred up front to Sergio Aguero, was almost played in by David Silva.Riyad Mahrez spurned a great chance when Raheem Sterling, back in the side after sitting out Saturday’s defeat of Burnley, found him on a quick counter-attack, but the Algerian delayed and missed the target.Mahrez then forced a save from Pyatov before curling in a fine cross from which David Silva hit a post. Jesus blasted the rebound wide and Sterling also missed but the opener eventually came.David Silva finished clinically with a superb low volley after a Jesus shot was deflected into his path. 5 Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ 5 Guardiola doesn’t believe his team can win the competition this season City wanted more and Benjamin Mendy forced Pyatov to save with a spectacular effort from distance.Their second came from the resulting corner as Shakhtar left Laporte unmarked and the Frenchman calmly guided De Bruyne’s corner into the top corner.Despite his side’s dominance, Guardiola did show his frustration when his side lost possession a few times. That occasionally allowed the hosts to break, but City recovered with John Stones, again playing right-back, particularly impressive at the back.Shakhtar did get one good opening from a corner, but Mykola Matviyenko headed wide, while Laporte blocked another effort from Maycon. Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion Bernardo’s calm finish put the game beyond any doubt SORRY Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update last_img read more