For the second time in history there are five active tropical cyclones at the same time.The only other time there were five active tropical cyclones — hurricane, tropical storm and/or tropical depression — in the Atlantic was in 1971.The five systems are Hurricane Paulette, Tropical Storm Sally, Tropical Storm Teddy, Tropical Storm Vicky, and Tropical Depression Rene.Hurricane Paulette is currently moving away from Bermuda, hurricane conditions are still impacting the island. Strong winds, storm surge and very heavy rainfall will likely continue all the way through the afternoon.Tropical Depression Rene, which had once been a tropical storm this past weekend, will continue to weaken as it tracks through the central Atlantic Ocean. This storm is not expected to impact any land and is also forecast to dissipate within the next two days.Tropical Storm Sally is currently heading northwest through the Gulf of Mexico. Mandatory evacuations are already underway for low-lying areas along the Gulf Coast.Tropical Storm Teddy is currently in the central Atlantic, well over 1,000 miles east of the Lesser Antilles. Teddy is expected to strengthen to a hurricane over the next few days. If this occurs, Teddy will be the eighth hurricane of this year’s Atlantic Hurricane Season, behind Sally. Sally is forecast to become a hurricane later in the day Monday, according to the NHC.By the end of the week Teddy is forecast to become a major hurricane (Category 3 or higher) as it approaches Bermuda. It is too early to tell at this time whether it will directly hit Bermuda, but given the current track it will be something to watch in the coming days.Tropical Storm Vicky is currently over the eastern Atlantic, just a few hundred miles west of the Cabo Verde Islands. Vicky is the earliest 20th Atlantic named storm on record, breaking the previous record set by Tammy on October 5, 2005.Vicky is expected to encounter unfavorable conditions in the next couple of days, which will limit its growth and intensification by Tuesday.“The cyclone is expected to degenerate into a remnant low by Tuesday night, and then dissipate over water on Friday, if not sooner,” the NHC said in their forecast discussion.
UPDATED: SINN FEIN leader on Donegal Council Mick Quinn says his party will oppose the budget.“This Government has handed over our main asset to Irish Water.“The budget which was passed here last year and was then reconvened last year in July for further discussion was cut again by 2.7 million, and I believe it will happen again this year if the budget is passed. “Once again the staff in the council are being asked to provide more for less.“The passing of this budget will result in job losses for those council workers involved in water works.“The County has been devastated by unemployment but the worst crime has been emigration not one family hasn’t been affected by this scourge and not one member of this council hasn’t been affected by it or witnessed the devastating effects of it.“We have the worst infrastructure in Ireland our roads are crumbling. “We have one of the worst rates of youth employment in Ireland with nearly 50% of youths out of work,“Third level education is no longer a right, it’s a privilege.“Our role and our role as elected representatives is to stand up for the people who elected us and to stand up for them and our communities.“The people of Donegal can’t take another austerity budget.“I urge you all like Cllr Brogan to say enough is enough and let’s make a stand together and send out a message to say Donegal has had enough. “I didn’t seek election to get a wage from the Donegal County Council.“If by refusing to pass this budget results in me and the rest of the members here getting our P45 tonight for taking this stance so be it the people we stand for have lost a lot more.Labour and independents to speak shortly – then the vote.COUNCIL LATEST: SINN FEIN TO OPPOSE BUDGET IN VOTE was last modified: January 8th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:COUNCIL LATEST: SINN FEIN TO OPPOSE BUDGET IN VOTE
A teenage former candidate for the state Legislature who ran on a platform of conservative values pleaded guilty Thursday to charges related to his role in an organized crime ring.Anthony Bittner, who ran in the August 2010 primary election for now-Congresswoman Jamie Herrera Beutler’s open 18th District House seat, admitted to attempted residential burglary and second-degree possession of stolen property.Bittner, 19, will be sentenced Sept. 29. Senior Deputy Prosecutor Alan Harvey said the crimes carry a standard sentencing range of between four-and-a-half months and nine months in jail.Bittner is among at least three teenagers whom prosecutors say were enlisted by a Young Life leader, Jorgan Cattin, to commit property crimes throughout Clark County last September. Cattin is charged with leading organized crime, a class A felony. He goes on trial Sept. 12.Bittner initially was charged with six crimes, including manufacture of a controlled substance (marijuana) and trafficking stolen property. As part of Bittner’s plea bargain, the 2010 Skyview High School graduate agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in their case against Cattin. Through attorneys Steven Myers and Tom Phelan, Bittner admitted his role Thursday to Clark County Superior Court Judge Barbara Johnson. He said he and others conspired to burglarize a home in Battle Ground on Sept. 14 and that he took part “by driving to and waiting outside” the house.