Friendship with Emery will survive derby outcome, says Pochettino

first_img“I called Unai who was in Spartak Moscow and said, ‘Thank you very much for recommending me’. I chose to stay at Espanyol at the time,” said the Argentinian. “I am loyal.”“You need to ask him (why he recommended me), I didn’t ask why. You need to say thank you and be grateful when a colleague — and after someone who became a very good friend (does that).“It’s not usual that a manager recommends another manager when he leaves the club.”Pocchetino will have his work cut out on Sunday. Tottenham have not won away at Arsenal since 2010 and that 3-2 win remains Spurs’ only win at the Gunners in their last 25 meetings. Share on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino is not going to let the north London derby clash on Sunday affect his friendship with Arsenal boss Unai Emery.The two old friends will meet for the first time in the Premier League with third-placed Spurs three points better off than the Gunners.Pochettino is especially touched by the memory of Emery, who at 47 is a year older then the Tottenham boss, recommending he replace him at Valencia when the latter left for Spartak Moscow in 2012.Pochettino declined the offer, preferring to remain at the less prestigious La Liga outfit Espanyol, and insists that their roles at the head of such big rivals will not affect their friendship.“The opposite I think,” said Pochettino “Of course we are in different clubs and it is a derby we are going to play.“In the moment we are going to compete, we are going to try to find the way to beat each other but before and after the game (we are) always very good friends.”Pochettino, who has garnered much praise for the style his young team play although they are yet to win any silverware in his four years in charge, says he is still moved by Emery’s generous gesture.last_img read more

Neymar rape accuser charged with extortion in Brazil

first_imgFILE PHOTO: NeymarSao Paulo, Brazil | AFP | Police in Sao Paulo said Tuesday they will bring extortion and slander charges against a Brazilian model who accused football star Neymar of rape.Najila Trindade filed a rape complaint with Sao Paulo police upon her return from a trip to Paris in May in which she said she was assaulted by Neymar following a pre-arranged meeting.A judge dismissed the case in August, citing insufficient evidence.Instead, Sao Paulo prosecutors said in a statement that investigators had found “indications of slanderous denunciation and extortion” in the woman’s accusation.A final decision on whether to prosecute Trindade will be left to a judge. Neymar, the world’s most expensive footballer, has always protested his innocence, saying their relations were consensual.The case complicated an already tumultuous year for the 27-year-old Brazil star, who has yet to play for his club Paris Saint-Germain this season following injury and reports of an aborted return to previous club Barcelona.On Friday, Neymar played his first game since suffering an ankle injury in June, grabbing a second-half equalizer for Brazil in a 2-2 friendly draw with Colombia.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Woman banned from Disney after attacking driver over a cigarette

first_imgA 53-year-old Florida woman has been banned from Disney for life after she reportedly attacked a cab driver who denied her a cigarette while she was at the resort.Ellen McMillion of Brandon, Florida was arrested Thursday of last week, just outside of Disney’s Hollywood Studios.According to the report, McMillion asked the taxi driver for a cigarette and when he said he did not have one, she began slapping the driver. A deputy witnessed the incident and intervened, however, McMillion began kicking him.Deputies also reported that McMillion was slurring her words, and they detected a strong odor of alcohol. She has since been arrested and is facing charges of battery on an officer and disorderly intoxication. As of Monday, McMillion did not have legal representation despite records showing she requested a public defender.last_img read more

Team named to target Costa Ballena success

first_img3 Dec 2015 Team named to target Costa Ballena success Six players from the England men’s A squad will bid to regain the trophy in the Costa Ballena International Quadrangular Tournament in Spain on January 20-22. They are: Ben Amor of Wiltshire (image © Leaderboard Photography), Will Enefer of Shropshire & Herefordshire, Scott Gregory of Hampshire, Josh Hilleard of Somerset, Will Whiteoak of Yorkshire and Andrew Wilson of Durham. The Costa Ballena competition is played on a round robin basis against teams from Finland, Germany and the hosts, Spain. England won the tournament in 2014 and were only beaten in a title decider on the final day last year. The players: Ben Amor, 20, (Marlborough) was in England’s winning Costa Ballena team in 2014. Last season he was runner up in the Darwin Salver and led the southern qualifiers for the Brabazon Trophy, where he went on to finish 15th. Will Enefer, 18, (Wrekin) represented England in the Boys’ Home Internationals.  He was runner-up in the German boys’ amateur and had eight top ten finishes in the 2015 season. Scott Gregory, 21, (Corhampton) was in last year’s Costa Ballena team. He was third on the England Golf men’s order of merit with results including fourth place in the European Amateur and second in the Lagonda Trophy. Josh Hilleard, 20, (Farrington Park) was fourth on the men’s order of merit after a season in which he was top qualifier at the English amateur and won both the Midlands amateur and North of England Youths. Will Whiteoak, 21, (Shipley) won the Tillman Trophy and led the northern qualifiers for the Brabazon Trophy, alongside a number of top 20 finishes.  Andrew Wilson, 21, (Wynyard) was runner-up in the North of England Youths and was 10th in the French amateur stroke play.last_img read more

KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY

first_imgTouch is without a doubt one of the most family friendly sports. You can play mixed, you can play with your friends and you can even play with your kids. But this isn’t only restricted to the players of our great game. Today, at the 2005 Seniors National Touch League, Sharon and Garry `Bear’ Foster got to run out onto field four not only as fellow referees but as husband and wife. Sharon, a former player, got involved in the refereeing side of Touch when she met Garry in a bank. “He saw me in the bank, you could say he stalked me,” laughed Sharon. And as they say…the rest is history, they will be married for 18 years on Monday. They’re used to spending their wedding anniversary in Coffs Harbour at the NTL as they have for the last six years. Their kids Lachlan, 15 and Larissa, 11 don’t share their parent’s passion for refereeing however. “They hate it,” said Sharon simply. “Probably from spending so many years at Touch, you could say they were Touch orphans,” said Garry. The Foster’s enjoyed the chance to referee together at this year’s NTL as Garry is a level four and Sharon is a level 6 referee so it’s not something they get to do often. “It was good today, I enjoyed it, I made him look good,” teased Sharon. No doubt their experience and passion will encourage the other referees at the 2005 NTL and will continue to help with their growth and development for many years to come. By Lisa Plummerlast_img

2 days agoLeeds boss Bielsa blasts Arsenal legend Wright: You’re not helping

first_imgLeeds boss Bielsa blasts Arsenal legend Wright: You’re not helpingby Paul Vegas2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLeeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa insists he will keep selecting the team on his terms.Bielsa insists he won’t be rushed into finding a way to fit Patrick Bamford and Eddie Nketiah into the same team after yet another crucial goal for the Arsenal starlet.Nketiah emerged from the bench to net a late equaliser for Leeds at Preston to leave them second in the Championship.Gunners legend Ian Wright took to Twitter to urge Bielsa to start the England Under-21 international after his third Championship goal of the campaign. “We have never proved this kind of combination in our training,” Bielsa said of the possibility of the strike duo playing in tandem.”In the international break, Nketiah is not with us, because we play twice a week and when we prepare in the week there are few spaces to try these kinds of things.”When you have a series of bad results and you have to find a different solution, that [kind of series] hasn’t happened. I think that all this around Bamford and Nketiah doesn’t help both of them.”It is natural that people argue about my decision because they don’t have all the reasons I have. I want both of them to be a success this year. We have 46 matches or 50 matches.”We are in the first 25 per cent of the competition. I think that we have time so I can find a way that both of them shine. If this doesn’t happen, it is going to be a mistake of mine.” TagsLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Nebraska Unveils Helmet Decal In Honor Of Sam Foltz

first_imgNebraska's student section honors Sam Foltz.LINCOLN, NE – SEPTEMBER 10: Students of the Nebraska Cornhuskers honor deceased player Sam Foltz with a banner before the game against the Wyoming Cowboys at Memorial Stadium on September 10, 2016 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Nebraska defeated Wyoming 52-14. (Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images)Nebraska’s football program has unveiled the helmet decal the Huskers will wear in honor of Sam Foltz this season.Foltz, Nebraska’s senior punter, died in a car crash in Wisconsin in late July. He was traveling from a kicking camp with former Michigan State punter Mike Sadler, who also died, and LSU kicker Colby Delahoussaye, who survived.Nebraska will wear this “SF27” decal on its helmets this fall.Huskers’ equipment manager Kyle Kotrous tweeted out a photo of the decal this afternoon.This years for you buddy!! #SF27 #Huskers pic.twitter.com/Z53HQ6vP0L— Kyle Kotrous (@Kkotrous22) August 3, 2016Nebraska head coach Mike Riley spoke about Foltz to Huskers’ Rivals.com publisher Sean Callahan.“We’ll have I think many reminders of Sam through the year. Whether it’s what we do with something on the helmet or our coaching hats or maintaining his locker. But what I hope our team takes is Sam’s love for what he did. That’s really what stands out to me [about him]. If I could have anything passed on from Sam to all of us in what we do, it’s the passion for how he did it and how much fun he had.”Nebraska starts practice on Thursday. The Huskers open their 2016 season Sept. 3 against Fresno State.last_img read more

GeoscienceBC launches H2S mapping project in Northeast BC

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – GeoscienceBC announced today that it is funding a new project in Northeast B.C. to map and predict sour gas – natural gas which can contain harmful and/or dangerous concentrations of hydrogen sulphide – or H2S.The project, which is titled “Distribution, origin, and implications of hydrogen sulphide in unconventional reservoir rocks in Western Canada with insights into the stratigraphic zonation and lateral variability of producible hydrocarbon liquids,” is being led by principal investigator Dr. Marc Bustin.Dr. Bustin, who is a professor with the University of British Columbia’s Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences, said that the project will map and predict the distribution of sour gas and hydrocarbon liquids in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin, including the active Montney, Doig, and Duvernay formations. “The Montney, Doig, and Duvernay formations are important areas for natural gas activity, but the distribution of sour gas within these formations is complex,” said Dr. Bustin. “By mapping and predicting its location, natural gas production can be safer as well as easier and cheaper to plan.”Gas analyses and isotopic data for the study is being provided from industry partners and complimentary, additional analyses will be undertaken as part of the study.At low concentrations, hydrogen sulphide is colourless, flammable and smells like rotten eggs. At concentrations of greater than 100 parts per million it is potentially deadly and extremely corrosive.“Responsible natural resource development is a central tenet of Geoscience BC research,” said GeoscienceBC Executive Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer Carlos Salas. “This project will provide detailed maps of produced gases and isotopic analyses, as well as predictive maps of hydrogen sulphide distribution across northeast British Columbia. It will also include reservoir production models to help plan resource exploration and drilling programs.”last_img read more

Controversy erupts after Sheilas comment on Manmohan Singh

first_imgNEW DELHI: Controversy irrupted on Thursday after Delhi Pradesh Congress chief Sheila Dikshit in a TV interview allegedly said that former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was not as strong as his successor, PM Narendra Modi, in tackling cross-border terrorism. While the BJP top brass came down in the support of the statement, Delhi’s ruling AAP lashed out at Dikshit over her statement.However, Dikshit had said that her comments had been taken out of context. She had tweeted, “I have seen some media is twisting my comments made in an interview. Here is what I said — it may seem to some people that Mr Modi is stronger on terror but I think this is a poll gimmick more than anything else..” Also Read – Bangla Sahib Gurudwara bans use of all types of plastic itemsTaking to Twitter, BJP Chief Amit Shah said, “Thank you Sheila Dikshit ji for reiterating what the nation already knows but the Congress party is never ready to admit.” After the statement the AAP top leaders alleged that there is a secret pact between Congress and BJP. The bitter rival Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal who defeated then CM Sheila Dikshit by nearly 25,000 votes missed not word to slam Dikshit. “The statement of Congress leader Sheila Dikshit praising Prime Minister Narendra Modi is really surprising and indicates something is going on between the BJP and the Congress.” AAP has consistently maintained over the years that depending on their convenience according to time and situation, the BJP and Congress do not hesitate to come together. Delhi is one of the prime examples which witnessed this phenomenon many times during last four years when Congress did not hesitate even for a moment to join hands with the BJP. AAP leader and Deputy CM Manish Sisodia said, “We have been saying this since the beginning that this time the Congress is working to make Modi ji the Prime Minister once again.”last_img read more

Two held in sewage plant death

first_imgNew Delhi: A day after two persons have died and two others injured after they went into a kitchen treatment unit in a restaurant named Pirates of Grill in West Delhi’s Rajouri Garden, Delhi Police arrested two persons in this regard.Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Monika Bharadwaj told Millennium Post that they have arrested one Pankaj- area manager and Aftab- Unit manager in this regard. “They are the employees of hotel and they were responsible for sending them inside the sewage,”said DCP West. Investigation is on from all angles. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderOn Saturday, the police received a call at around 1:30 pm that four men who got down in the kitchen treatment unit have fallen unconscious. Soon, the team from the local police station and the fire department reached the spot and tried to rescue the injured persons. In the hospital, two men, identified as Rakesh (45) and Ajay (19), succumbed to their injuries and the other two are still receiving treatment in the hospital. They have been identified as Pankaj and Raju. They all are members of housekeeping staff of the restaurant,” said a senior police officer. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsManual scavenging –a practice — in which workers enter into sewers and septic tanks to clean out excreta – has historically been connected to Dalit communities, making its prevalence another egregious case of caste discrimination. Though, India banned the practice in 1993 and the law was amended to expand its ambit in 2013, manual scavenging continues across the country. In 2018 alone, more than 10 people died in Delhi while cleaning septic tanks. In February 2019, the Delhi government flagged off a fleet of 200 sewer-cleaning machines, with the aim of eradicating manual scavenging in the Capital. “We have registered a case against the accused under relevant sections and the investigation has begun,” said a senior police officer.last_img read more