32,768 Views https://jrnl.ie/4542670 Friday 15 Mar 2019, 6:05 AM Image: Shutterstock/Sean Wandzilak Mar 15th 2019, 6:06 AM A DUBLIN TEENAGER who repeatedly slammed a door into a girl’s head and set fire to her hair will be sentenced later for this and for assaulting a passerby with a broken bottle.A witness told gardaí that Dylan Lynch (18) told him to take a video of the door banging the teenage girl’s head and share it with friends on Snapchat.The witness said he did this using Lynch’s own phone. He said the girl, who’d been drinking vodka with a group in Lynch’s bedroom, had looked “drowsy” when she was put sitting up.He gave an account of Lynch taking a deodorant can and lighter and creating a flame at the back of the girl’s head. Lynch then started cutting clumps out of the girl’s singed hair and throwing them out the window.Garda Sarah Hogan told Monika Leech, prosecuting, that girls who had been with the injured party eventually took her out of the house. The girl and her mother complained to gardaí the following day.Lynch, of Avonbeg Gardens, Tallaght, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assaulting the teenage girl at his home on 21 July 2018.He also pleaded guilty to assaulting a former Tallaght Hospital lab technician and robbing his phone at Sean Walsh Park, Tallaght, on 16 April 2018.Garda Gary Duffy said Lynch hit the lab technician about five times in the head with a vodka bottle, which broke during the assault. At times the injured party had tried to run away, but Lynch caught him and resumed the attack.The man, in a victim impact statement referred to in court, described receiving nine stitches to his left temple, staples to a wound on the top of his head and having to get his right ear glued.Duffy told Leech that the man had passed Lynch and two girls while walking home from work. He had noted Lynch looking worked up and agitated and that he had two vodka bottles.When Lynch threw one bottle onto the road, the injured party turned to face him as he was afraid of being assaulted by the second. Lynch took this as a confrontation and began the attack.Another man, not before the courts, joined in at the end of the assault holding a switchblade and the pair robbed the injured party’s phone. After this, the victim was able to run for help.The court heard the attack had influenced his decision to move abroad to work.Duffy agreed with Sarah Jane O’Callaghan, defending, that her client had a very dysfunctional background and that there had been tragic and violent deaths in his family.He accepted a psychological report assessment that since Lynch has been in custody he has had “a maturing of his insight” and an attitude change to crime and victims. No Comments By Aoife Nic Ardghail Short URL Share14 Tweet Email Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article Image: Shutterstock/Sean Wandzilak Teenager pleads guilty to repeatedly slamming door into girl’s head 18-year-old David Lynch has pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitter Newgioco cuts first half loss despite revenue decline Online gaming operator and supplier Newgioco Group has reported an 18.5% year-on-year decline in revenue for the first half of 2020, though reduced operating costs saw the business halve its net loss for the period.Turnover for the six months to 30 June fell 11.1% to $210.0m, with a 4.0% rise in online turnover to $182.2m wiped out by a 54.4% drop in retail’s contribution. This period saw Newgioco’s 150 betting shops in its core Italian market closed from 8 March to 4 May as a result of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, and major sporting events cancelled or suspended.It was not until 19 June that all land-based betting shops and kiosks were all back in operation.After payouts of $192.5m, Newgioco’s gross gaming revenue was down 14.6% at $17.6m. Once Italian gaming taxes of $2.6m were paid, and platform revenue of $24,797 (down 85.7%) factored in, Newgioco’s revenue for the first half came to $15.0m, down 18.5% year-on-year.The retail shut-down and suspension of sports did result in a decline in operating costs for the period, which fell 21.5% to $15.9m, resulting in a reduced operating loss of $896,472.However, other costs were significantly reduced, falling from $2.6m in H1 2019 to $881,377. This was down to a $722,500 gain on marketable securities, while interest expenses declined to $173,073 and debt amortisation charges fell 64.3% to $737,074.This resulted in a $1.8m loss before tax, which after income taxes of $590,097 resulted in a net loss of $2.4m, down 51.6%. Once a $93,514 foreign exchange loss was factored in, Newgioco’s comprehensive loss for the half was reduced 50.3% to $2.5m.This followed a second quarter in which revenue was down 47.2% to $4.8m. Turnover for the three months to 30 June only decreased marginally, however, falling 5.2% to $94.1m as growth in online stakes offset retail wagering falling to $4.2m.Costs and expenses declined 29.0% to $6.8m, resulting in an operating loss of $2.0m, up significantly from a $523,703 loss in the prior year. Once again, other expenses fell significantly due to reduced interest expenses, lower debt amortisation charges and a gain on marketable securities.But with revenue for the quarter falling, this still translated to higher losses. Loss before income taxes widened to $2.5m. After $62,059 in income taxes, Newgioco’s net loss grew 42.0% to $2.5m, which after a $18,516 gain from foreign currency translations, resulted in a comprehensive loss of $2.5m for the period, up 46.7%. Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter Regions: Europe Southern Europe Italy Online gaming operator and supplier Newgioco Group has reported an 18.5% year-on-year decline in revenue for the first half of 2020, though reduced operating costs saw the business halve its net loss for the period. 20th August 2020 | By contenteditor Tags: Mobile Online Gambling Finance Email Address Topics: Finance Sports betting Tech & innovation